Arizona Commission on Civic Education and Engagement
9-member Commission - Terminates July 1, 2016
Members may not currently hold an elected position at any level of government
Co-chairpersons are elected annually from among commission members
Appointments for 2 year terms – no term limits
- Governor – 3 appointments
- Speaker of the AZ House of Representatives: 1 appointment
- President of the Senate: 1 appointment
- Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court: 1 appointment
- Arizona Secretary of State: 1 appointment
- Arizona Attorney General: 1 appointment
- Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction: 1 appointment
Mandatory activities of the Commission:
- PROMOTE THE INFORMED, RESPONSIBLE PARTICIPATION IN POLITICAL ACTIVITIES BY AMERICAN CITIZENS WHO ARE COMMITTED TO THE FUNDAMENTAL VALUES AND PRINCIPLES OF THE AMERICAN SYSTEM.
- PROMOTE CIVIC EDUCATION AND ENGAGEMENT IN CIVIC ACTIVITIES FOR PERSONS OF ALL AGES.
Optional activities of the Commission:
- MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS TO ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT FOR THE PROMOTION AND ENHANCEMENT OF CIVIC EDUCATION AND CIVIC ENGAGEMENT.
- ESTABLISH SUBCOMMITTEES, TASK FORCES OR WORK GROUPS, OR ANY COMBINATION OF THESE GROUPS.
- COLLABORATE AND WORK WITH ANY LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE ESTABLISHED TO EXAMINE CIVIC EDUCATION AND ENGAGEMENT.
- COLLABORATE AND WORK WITH VARIOUS GROUPS THAT ARE DEDICATED TO OR INTERESTED IN CIVIC EDUCATION AND CIVIC ENGAGEMENT.
- ACCEPT, DEPOSIT IN A STATE ACCOUNT, SPEND AND ACCOUNT FOR DONATIONS, GIFTS, BEQUESTS AND DEVISES THAT ARE CONSISTENT WITH THE OVERALL PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES OF THE COMMISSION
- EMPLOY UP TO TWO PERSONS IN FULL-TIME EQUIVALENT POSITIONS THAT ARE FUNDED THROUGH DONATIONS, GIFTS, BEQUESTS AND DEVISES RECEIVED BY THE COMMISSION.
House Bill 2788 – commission; civic education and engagement
- Bill Status Update
Flag/Constitution Display in Arizona Classrooms (HB2583) - requiring the display of a 3'x2' American flag and a legible copy of the US Constitution adjacent to it in every public and charter classroom in the state K-College.
House Bill 2583 - Educational classrooms; flag display
- Bill Status Overview